Building a home is one of the biggest decisions you’ll make in your life, and if you don’t take some time to choose the right home builder, it could mean the difference between a home you’ll love and a house you’ll regret. When you are looking for a Morgantown home builder or contractor in West Virginia, you have choices…but not all builders are created equal.
Here are 9 questions you should ask before choosing a Morgantown home builder:
- How do you determine the exact cost of my home? It can be difficult for some builders to give you an exact cost for your home, so they usually give you a “ballpark cost” per square foot. Because of the processes we’ve developed at Paradise Homes, we are able to give you a quote for your home that will be very close to your final total cost. We can do this because of the way our modular home manufacturers standardize their labor, as well as the years of experience our crews have setting and finishing homes.
- How do you make sure our home will stay within our budget? You’ve heard the stories of homeowners who agree to build a $250,000 house, but actually spend much more because of construction delays, poor weather, and other unforeseen circumstances. Because modular homes are built off-site in a climate-controlled environment, many of these issues are simply not issues with us. Once we give you a quote, the only thing that will change that quote drastically is if you want to add or change something after the plans are approved.
- How long do you anticipate the construction of this project will take? This is always the big question. Construction can be slowed (or stopped completely) for a number of reasons, including inclimate weather, a change in the design, or even a delay in the delivery of materials. Speed is one of the many advantages that manufactured housing provides. Simultaneous site clearing, excavation, foundation installation and utility work occur at the home-site while the house modules are being built. So all the site work can be finished by the time your house is delivered (between four to 12 weeks after the order is placed). Once the home has been delivered, it takes an average of 30-60 days to complete before you can move in. So all in all, we usually range between 3-6 months from the time your plans are finalized.
- How are you compensated for your pre-construction services? Many custom home builders charge for designing your floorpan, hiring architects, surveying land, and other “pre-construction” activities. At Paradise Homes, any of these services that we provide are not add-on charges—you will not pay extra for pre-construction services. (There may be permits and other municipal costs, however.)
- Are you comfortable building the style and quality of home that we expect? The builder you choose should be one who routinely builds houses that are comparable in size, style, quality, and features to the home you’d like to build. At Paradise Homes, we have partnered with some of the best modular home manufacturers in the country and routinely build many different styles of homes including Ranch, 2-story, Cape Cod, A-Frame, and Chalet styles. If you have a home style in mind, contact us and we can chat about your ideas!
- Who will supervise the construction? A construction crew is only as good as its supervisor. Our team leaders have decades of experience, and are on site for all major construction activities.
- How will questions and concerns be addressed during construction? An open line of communication is crucial to a successful project. That’s why we are here to answer your questions every step of the way!
- How do you qualify the competency of the subcontractors who will work on my project? Oftentimes, construction companies subcontract work—and many of these subcontractors don’t hold the same high standards as the builders you actually hired. At Paradise Homes, we work with our own in-house crews for most construction activities, and have a select few contractors to help with excavation, foundations, and HVAC. You will have the chance to meet and qualify any subcontractor we may suggest.
- How do you service your warranty once the construction is complete? Service after the sale is as important as ever, especially in the homebuilding business. Some builders will give you the keys and only offer a 30-or-60-day warrantee in case you find an issue after you close on the house and move in. Most Paradise Homes come complete with a ten-year structural warranty. This provides excellent protection for your new home and provides peace of mind for you. The warranty is also transferable to the new owner if you decide to sell your home during the coverage period.
We welcome you to come chat with our experts and let us help you through the process of designing a house that is just right for you and your family. We have a dozen model homes on-site at our offices in Morgantown—let us walk you through a few and help you find what you love and what you would like to change. Then we can sit down and customize a floor plan that’s perfect for you!
If you would like to talk about your new home ideas, CONTACT US or give us a call at 304-291-0072…or better yet, stop by our office in Morgantown!